Instructions for Mystical Ocean Necklace
Back to Mystical Ocean Necklace design idea page
Step By Step InstructionsNote:
You do not need to use flush cutters to cut the Vintaj Cable Chain.
You merely open and close the links of the chain to separate it into
sections. No waste! It works easiest if you use 2 pairs of chain nose
pliers, one in each hand, since the chain is strong.
You will assemble the filigree wrapped pendant first, then the inner chain, add
the clasp, attach the pendant, then the outer chain, and then the dangles.
1. Assemble the filigree wrapped pendant by combining the Framed Scrollwork Pendant, the large lampwork coin bead, and the Passion Flower Filigree.
- Hammer the center of the Passion Flower Filigree on a bench block. This way, it will conform to the shape of the coin bead more closely. A chasing hammer works best, but other types of hammers may do the trick as well. (Truth be told, I used the end of a bead reamer and pounded it on a cement floor. I was at a show when I made this and had no other more suitable tools. So you can be creative, too!)
in the edges of the Passion Flower Filigree so that it will go around the Framed Scrollwork Pendant with the coin bead inside. You may use your round nose pliers or bail-
making pliers. It works best to turn one side, tip by tip, and then the other,
alternately repeating sides.
- With the Passion Flower Filigree, the coin bead, and the Framed Scrollwork sandwiched together, roll the tips of the Passion Flower against the bench block, applying pressure as you roll. This tightens the tips of the passion flower against the pendant to make the assembly more secure.
- Make sure that all sides of the filigree are symmetrical and holding the focal bead securely.
2. Assemble four (4)
of these units on 1" eye pins: Place the
Oval Wrap Filigree beads on the eye pin and make a simple loop on the other end.
3. Assemble two (2)
of these units on 1-1/2" eye pins: String
3 of the Blue Ocean teardrop glass beads on each eye pin and make a simple loop
on the other end.
4. Open and close the links on the Vintaj Fine Oval Chain and separate the chain into the following sections:
- 2 sections of 14 links each
- 1 section of 3 links
- 5 individual links
- 7 individual links to which you attach a teardrop glass bead on each
- The remaining links of chain will be used for the back of the necklace and to attach the clasp.
5. Assemble the inner chain
of the necklace:
- Take one of the individual links you separated in Step 4. Open the link
and insert it into the loop of the Framed Scrollwork Pendant/coin bead/Filigree.
Set aside for the time being.
- Working from the center of the necklace: attach one of the units you made
in Step 2 above to each end
of the 3-link section of chain.
- On other end of each Step 2 unit, attach an individual link.
- Attach one of the units you made in Step 3 above to each
of the individual links.
- Now add another single chain link to each side.
- Then add another Step 2 unit to each side.
- Next, divide the remaining long piece of fine oval chain into two pieces.
Connect the end of each piece to the last Step 2 unit on each end.
- Attach the 24 x 1mm Natural Brass Hook to the end of one half of the remaining
6. Attach the pendant: Attach the assembled Framed Scrollwork/Passion Flower
pendant to the middle link of the 3-link chain which is at the center of the
7. Assemble the outer chain
of the necklace:
- Take one of the 14-link chain sections you made in Step 4, open one of the
end links, and attach it to one end of the 3-link chain at the center of the
necklace (sharing links with the filigree bead unit). Close the chain link.
Now do the same thing on the other side of the necklace using the other 14-link
- Attach the other end of the 14-link chain to the link immediately above
the top oval filigree bead unit (sharing links). The 14-link chain should
drape down. Now do the same thing on the other side. (Refer to the picture
8. Attach the 6 teardrop components which are on individual links onto the
necklace as follows:
- counting from the middle on the outer chain, one each on the 4th link
- counting up from the 4th link from the middle of the outer chain, skip 5
links and place on the 6th link up (10th link from the middle)
- the last 2 teardrop components are fastened on the inner (main) chain of
the necklace, on the 4th link above the top oval filigree bead unit.
Now is a good time to adjust the chains to make sure the necklace hangs evenly.
9. Add a dangle to the clasp: on the necklace chain opposite the brass hook, attach
the last teardrop on an individual link.
Voila! You have finished your beautiful Mystical Ocean Necklace! A work of art!
Back to Mystical Ocean Necklace
design idea page